Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Continuing Adventures of Grumpy's Hector

My dad lives part time at the house across the road from us here on the farm (the other part time he is still living down in Florida until he retires). So guess what showed up in his carport the other morning...


hec1
A stray puppy.

And, no, to those family members who think I secretly placed this adorable little bundle of cuteness strategically in his carport because I thought my dad needed a dog, I did not.

In fact, my dad (who my kids call "Grumpy" (short for grandpa)) was not in the market for a dog at all.

He has not had a dog since the Irish Setter we had when I was a little, little kid.
Because Grumpy travels a lot and likes to be independent.
His own man.

hec2
But then this guy came along.


hec6
The kids think he is the cutest creature they have ever seen.


hec7
And Grumpy, as it turns out, may be just the tiniest bit smitten with him, too.

And vice-versa. The little dog follows Grumpy everywhere. Is upset when he's not right by his side. So now, when Grumpy walks across the road with his martini to our house for dinner, he also has something in his other hand.

Now Grumpy says he doesn't need a dog. And he's only keeping him until the real owners come or until he can find him another home.

But he did name him.

Hector
(after the biggest and bravest of the Trojan War heroes)


hec8
So the question is,
will Grumpy-the-Independent keep Hector-the-Lost?

Will the real owners come and take Hector away?

hec9
Will our dog, Piper, who loves Grumpy more than she loves me, allow the newcomer to share her Grumpy-space?

Find out in the next episode of...

The Continuing Adventures of Grumpy's Hector

No comments:

Post a Comment